Much of our success from this past school year starts with the hard work put in by our student-athletes and coaches during the off season. The 2017-18 campaign proved to be another successful year, with several state championships, multiple top five finishes, numerous district and regional championships, and countless All District, All Metro and All State selections. While I am very proud of these results, I am also incredibly grateful for the amount of time, effort, and hard work that our student-athletes and coaches dedicate to making Newman Athletics the very best we can be.
Included below are the expectations of our programs that operate during the summer. For all new-to-Newman students and rising ninth graders, I encourage you to reach out to the coach regarding your participation this summer. Please make sure that all new-to-Newman students have their Magnus Health Forms and LHSAA participation forms fully completed, uploaded, and approved before any workout takes place. Click here for more information on that process
. For all returning athletes, this information should have already been communicated to you by your respective coach.
- The Berger Family Fitness Center will be open beginning June 4 through the end of the summer: Monday - Thursday 7:00 a.m.-11:00 a.m.; Friday 10:00 a.m. -11:00 a.m. (Closed week of July 4)
- Each team will have scheduled times for training. They are as follows:
- Football – 2 Groups (Monday through Thursday 7:00-8:30 a.m. & 8:30-10:00 a.m.) * 20 Required
- Volleyball – Monday, Wednesday, & Friday 10:00-11:00 a.m. * 20 workouts expected
- Swimming – Tuesday, Thursday, & Friday 10:00-11:00 a.m. Twice a week required for a total of 14 workouts.
- Girls/Boys Basketball and Lacrosse – The Fitness Center will maintain open hours throughout the summer. Athletes are expected to make time to get into the facility each week on their own time. Attendance will be tracked and reported to coaching staff.
- All new Cheerleaders need to be available for the uniform fitting on May 16 at 3:00 p.m.
- Cheerleaders will be expected to be back on campus for the mandatory cheer camp starting Monday, August 6.
- There is an expectation that athletes will participate in preparatory training during summer months.
- During June and July, 40 practice sessions will be offered. Athletes are required to attend at least any 20 of these sessions.
- Practice times will typically be offered at 6:00 a.m. Monday - Thursday, 7:00 a.m. Sunday morning, and 6:00 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday. All practices meet at the Cross Country/Track & Field Office inside the Facilities Building at the corner of Danneel and Dufossat Streets.
- For more complete details regarding summer training, please contact Coach Zell. He can provide a complete practice schedule for the entire summer.
- The first practice of the 2018 season is scheduled for Wednesday, August 1at 3:30 p.m. The team will meet in the Cross Country/Track & Field Office.
- Once school begins, the team will practice weekdays beginning at 3:45 PM and will finish between 6:00 and 6:30 p.m. most days. The team also practices on Saturdays, usually in the mornings, when competitions are not scheduled.
- We ask that our players attend a minimum of 20 workout sessions.
- We will also participate in a 7-7 league on Wednesday mornings for our skill players. The buses will depart at 8:15 a.m. for Laplace and return around 11:30 a.m.
- We will be off the final week of July and will begin practice on Wednesday, August 1.
- Along with the twice a week High Performance expectation, swimmers are expected to get one hour of cardio/strength training/swimming four times a week.
- The first practice will be Wednesday, August 8 at 4:00 p.m.
- Players are expected to get 20 workouts with the High Performance Program throughout the summer.
- The first official practice will begin Wednesday, August 1 at 9:00 a.m. in the Palaestra. The first week of practices will include two-a-days, 9:00-11:00 a.m. and 4:00-6:00 p.m., with Saturday practices from 10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
- More information will be mailed out in the coming weeks.
- Summer workouts begin Monday, June 4 and run through Friday, August 3. We expect each players who is in town to engage in two summer workouts per week.
- In addition to workouts, the team will play pickup every Wednesday in June. The dates are, June 6, June 13, June 20, and June 27. More information to come.
- Small groups and required workouts for non-fall athletes will begin after Labor Day.
More information about the 2018-19 season will be mailed out in August.
- The Varsity Boys Basketball team will work out in the Palaestra starting Friday, June 1 in the morning. Practice will continue on throughout the month of June in the afternoons from 4:30-6:30 p.m.
- Summer league games are played on Monday and Wednesday evenings.
- Coach Tillette will provide a more detailed schedule later on in the month of May.
- All returning Varsity Soccer players will have the opportunity to participate in a 6 on 6 pick-up league that will begin later in the month of May or in early June. Specifics will be communicated through the team captains.
- All returning players are expected to workout with Coach Brattain twice a week in the High Performance program. For those traveling, Coach Brattain will create a program to follow while you are away. Please contact Coaches Badie and Brattain to receive the workout.
- The JV and Varsity Baseball team will work out, practice, and play beginning the last week of May and going through the end of June.
- We are still working out the logistics of workouts and games. Once this information is finalized Coach Catalano will email you directly.
- Student athletes who would like to join the Tennis team next spring are highly encouraged to play at least five to six hours a week of tennis in the summer and fall while also playing at least two USTA/PTR this summer and in the fall.
This summer, Lacrosse athletes are expected to maintain the following standards of player improvement:
- At least 150 minutes of stick work (catching, throwing, cradling, and shooting) per week.
- At least 2 weekly workouts, either on campus or comparable off campus work.
- 90 minutes of weekly cardio or three 30-minute sessions.
All players taking part in other summer athletic programs for Newman are exempt from expectations 2 and 3, but are still expected work on improving their improving stick skills. Team High Performance workouts will be required for all non-fall athletes upon the return to school in August, and information will go out in advance of the new school year.
If you have any questions, please contact the head coach directly.
Thank you for your interest and investment in Newman Athletics!