Newman’s Office of Community and Inclusion
The mission of Newman’s Office of Community and Inclusion is to cultivate empathetic and culturally competent student-leaders through engagement in community partnerships, service, and diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) programming.
Pillars of Community and Inclusion
- Community Engagement
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Community and Inclusion Design
Newman currently operates numerous initiatives aimed at addressing social, environmental, equity, and inclusion issues through our two pillars: Community Engagement and Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. These initiatives are structured in a variety of ways, with some of our programs including several of the formats listed below. We like to think of them as our building blocks:Community Engagement:
Initiatives that center on collaborative relationships between Newman School and local, national, and global community partners.
- Service Learning: A method of teaching and learning that challenges students to identify, research, propose, and implement solutions to real needs in their school or community as part of the curriculum.
- Community Service: Activities that engage students in addressing needs of their schools and communities.
- Community-Based Learning: An approach that enhances the curriculum by using community members and places as resources for learning.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
Initiatives that work to create a community of self-aware students, faculty, and staff through development of cultural competency and empathy skills.
Workshops and Conferences: Opportunities offered to students, faculty, and staff throughout the year to grow in cultural competency and empathy (People of Color Conference, Student Diversity Leadership Conference, Unity Through Understanding Day, High Resolves Faculty Training, etc.)
- DEI Curriculum: Partnerships with ADL and High Resolves integrated into the school day.
- DEI Parent Dialogues: Gatherings for parents to discuss DEI related issues.
- Guest Speakers
- Affinity Groups: Groups who share something important to their identity in common. Newman offers racial/ethnic and religious affinity groups for faculty, parents, and students (goal for the future).